From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 23:13:10 -0700
>>that show how unealthy , is the gain of weight, accomplished only >after
>>120 days.
>
>Sorry, Ingrid, but I'm going to call you on this one.  From the company's
>materials...

Oops it was jean -claude ,she would not be happy of the confusion she is
more diplomatic than me .( ingrid is my wife and i use her computer, sorry!)

>Q:  What are the health benefits of buffalo?
>A:  Since it is a wild animal the meat is naturally leaner.  It has less
fat
>and calories than a comparable portion of beef, chicken or even some fish.
>The meat does not marble as beef does.  It also has 30% more protein than
>beef.

Better that worse , it is okay!

>Q:  Are there any other unique characteristics of buffalo?
>A:  Buffalo meat is non-allergenic.  There has never been a case of cancer
>detected in this animal.  Shark is the only other meat with this claim.

like i said we benefit from their past genetic . it s not going to be long
to spoil this.

>Q:  Are buffalo becoming domesticated?
>A:  Definitely not!  They are a wild animal and will always remain so.
>They are harder to manage when attempting to herd them, but otherwise
easier
>than cattle because they need less handling.  There is no need to pull
>calves; a mosther buffalo needs no help, nor will she accept it.  There is
>no branding; it destroys the hides.  There is no "steering" which would
>result in more fat.

I know lot of wild animals who got to feed on garbage in cities who look
very differents than their wild counterpart after few generations  ( funny
they are obese too and lost their peace of mind and become quite agressive)

>Back to me here.  As I understand it, during the last 120 days they are,
>indeed, given some grain but NOT fed grain exclusively.  Note that the meat
>does NOT marble.  Believe me, this is true.  Frankly, buffalo cuts are TOO
>lean for my taste.  The ground buffalo includes some fat.  I put fat on
>steak after it's done.

whole grain would be not so bad but i doubt it is ,most likely processed
feeds grain based)

why do you think they give them grains that is costly , if the gain of
weight is not profitable enough . To gain this kind of weight ( that is not
possible to obtain only with grass aparrently ,) in 120 days , it have to be
unhealthy weight even if it doesn't marbled as much as the beef )

>For those of us who don't have the time to get a hunting license, learn to
>shoot a gun, sit freezing in the woods for God-knows-how-many hours and try
>to hit moving targets a two-hour drive from home (i.e. most of us),
>alternative meat products available in stores are our a pretty good idea.

 the fact that  it is available in store it s great but i still question the
industrial scale of the distribution. At this scale  of merchandising,
"quality" is just a marketing tool, it is just not practical to have
integrity, but a good image rest important ...

>By the way, the US buffalo herd went down to less than 1,000 at one point
>with more than 60 million roaming the US before buffalo were killed
>primarily to help "round up" Native American Indians and force them onto
>reservations.  The herd is now at more than 300,000 with buffalo now found
>in every state of the union.  I salute companies like this one for helping
>this come to be.  New West Foods has also helped get buffalo meat onto
>Indian reservations.

wonderfull , we can buy back the guilt of having them exterminated , now we
become more clever we just exploite , ( natives and bisons )
In an industrial scale of distribution the farmers are loosers and when they
are native ,even more so .

I apreciate bisons but would like to see more  local small scale caring of
those beautiful animals.

you called me ?! i am here!

jean-claude