Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:47:17 -0400
Bronwen <[log in to unmask]> posted:
> >Ahem, I meant we are having way more bowel movements! >> I thought we ate
*more* fiber before with oatmeal, sandwiches, bown rice, etc.

It is a common myth that grains provide more fiber than vegetables or
fruits.  In actuality, you get far more fiber (and vitamins, minerals, and
antioxidants), from fresh produce than from grains, even most whole grains.
Here are some examples of questions designed to debunk common myths, taken
from an article I wrote for a women's fitness publication.

1) One large apple has as much or more fiber than a slice of whole wheat
bread.  True or False?
2)  One cup of brown rice has more fiber than one cup of broccoli. True or
False?
3)  One cup of strawberries contains more fiber than 1 cooked cup of cream
of wheat.  True or False?

Answers:
1)  True.  (Surprised you, right?)!  Most fruits are better fiber sources
than grains; the fruits also pack more vitamins and antioxidants and most
fruits are lower on the glycemic index as well!
2)  False.  One cup brown rice contains only 3.3 grams of fiber.  One cup
cooked broccoli provides 4 grams of fiber.  Kale, collards, cauliflower,
cabbage, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, artichoke hearts, eggplant, bell
peppers, celery, cucumbers, radishes, and numerous other colorful vegetables
also pack plenty of fiber (and more nutrients overall)!
3) True.   One cup strawberries contains 4 grams fiber.  In contrast, 1 cup
cream of wheat contains only 1.3 gram fiber.

Chances are that by adopting a paleo diet and replacing grains, refined
starch, and sugar with fresh vegetables and fruits you are taking in more
bulky foods and this is adding bulk to your stools.  People who are
accustomed to having only or or two or three bowel movements *per week* or
passing only small bms will often experience a noticable change in frequency
and size of stools when adopting a varied produce-rich paleo diet.

Many anthropologists believe that primitive groups (other than Eskimos and
others living in extreme environments), ate many times more produce and
fiber than is common in America and other industrialized nations.  Btw, even
on a paleo diet deriving only 60 grams of carbs per day, one can eat a lot
of produce and take in a large amount of fiber, depending upon one's food
choices.

Please don't feel embarassed to post questions or be direct on this list.
We're all here to help.  All of our bodily functions are quite natural; it's
only through modern conditioning that some of us may get the idea that these
functions are something to be embarassed about.

Sincerely,
Rachel