Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 19:00:27 -0400
Mary said:
At the supermarket store near me, they told me all the salmon and trout is
farmed. What fish species would be good for Omega 3 and which would be
wild??

My reply:
There are some varieties that are available both wild and farmed.  I think
you need a good fishmonger who can help you find what you want.  I buy deep
sea dory and blue hake (wild, white meat fish), and sometimes pollock frozen
in the supermarket, and less often canned red or pink salmon or sardines.
I stopped buying the so-called fresh fish from the supermarkets.  The
supermarkets actually buy some of their fish from this specialty seafood
market, after the seafood market won't sell it.  The supermarkets don't want
to pay the price for fresher fish!  I've gotten some spoiled fish from the
supermarket, so I only buy frozen fish there if it's been frozen at sea (not
packaged with the supermarket's logo).

I buy most of my fish from a seafood shop that services the community (in
Toledo, Ohio) and fine restaurants in the area.  The head of the fish shop
has a degree in ichthyology (the zoological study of fishes).  He knows that
I like wild fish.  I call him regularly to ask what he will have in that is
wild.  He tells me what's coming in and what's wild.  Although most of the
salmon he sells is farmed, he regularly orders wild salmon in for me and
some of his other customers.  The price is almost the same for the wild.  It
is not uniform like the farmed fish, but that's not what I'm after so I
don't mind.

There are many varieties of wild fish available.  They are too numerous to
mention.   I can ask my fishmonger, Jeff, if he has a list of common wild
fish, but I think it is more important to find an honest fish merchant, get
to know him, then ask before buying, "is this wild or farmed?"

Cheers!

Rachel

PS.  A couple of folks on this list mentioned blue fish and Artic char.  The
head of the fish shop I mentioned said he can regularly get blue fish and
should be able to get char in the next few weeks!   I particularly like the
oilier fish.  Yum!   Oh, if you get a chance to try Escolar (also called oil
fish); it's delicious.  It's rich in omega 3s and has a buttery flavor.  I
cannot find it in any of the fish books I have, but I tried it last month
and liked it!