From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:58:33 -0500
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:30:43 -0700, Mary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have Larry enrolled in a dance class and he is doing well in it as
>regards timing, foot placement, and in all ways except strength. The
>teacher said he needs stronger legs. I am walking with him for an hour a
>day  along a creek on mostly level terrain. I am looking into buying a
>treadmill for him. Any ideas? They talk on the various learning disability
>lists that yeast toxicity weakens muscles. I have yeast reduced to the
>greatest extent possible without using strong pharmaceuticals. So, would
>more exercise help?? The teacher said he is not able to lift very well and
>if you know Irish dancing,there is a lot of lift involved. He has perfect
>timing, executes the steps well, just lacking lift. He loves being on stage
>and loves performing. He has done well lin competition but is now at a
>level where he needs some lift. Thanks, Mary

Mary,

Save your money...do not buy a treadmill!  How old is Larry?  At some point
he could do squats with weight, but right now he could do free weight
squats or squat thrusts.  Squat thrusts involve dropping your hands to the
ground to either side of your feet and thrusting your legs behind you so
that you are in a "push-up" position...then thrusting you legs back so that
your feet are outside of your hands...then resume a standing
position...then repeat.

I was also thinking about what made my legs strong as a kid.  I realized
that I was constantly involved in races with my brothers or other kids, and
I played lots of basketball.  Any sport that involves quick bursts of
movement such as sprinting, soccer, basketball, tennis, etc. will help to
strengthen his legs.

Otherwise, if he just sticks with the dancing and continues to attempt the
lift movements he will naturally get stronger.  Maybe he could also
practice the lift movements on his own and gradually increase the amount of
weight he lifts until he feels comfortable lifting another person.

Good luck,

Brad