From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:38:57 EDT
There were so many quotes in the post I am referring to that I am getting
confused as to who said what. But I THINK the following is from Todd Moody:

>It's interesting that a recent study in the British Medical
>Journal showed monounsaturated fat causing an increase in Lp(a),
>which is considered an independent risk factor for heart disease.
>I know that Mary Enig also thinks the "politically correct"
>monounsaturated fats have been overrated.

Since I have a problem with elevated Lp(a) I would be very interested in
seeing this article or knowing more details about it. My "regular" lipids are
fine eating Paleo:

total cholesterol 206
HDL 55
Triglycerides 68
Homocysteine 8.9 (reference range from this lab <9, although the Life
Extension Foundation recommends under 7, and I am taking the necessary
supplements to address this)

However, my Lp(a) was 45 in January (ref. range <30) despite taking 4 grams a
day of vitamin C for over 10 years. At that time I increased my vitamin C
intake to about 10 grams a day, and added 500 mg. Proline and 3 grams Lysine,
as per the Pauling/Rath protocol. To my horror, the last test, taken 6 weeks
later (same lab) showed a slight *increase* to 46.1. I use olive oil and
flaxseed oil liberally. Perhaps I need to rethink my use of these oils.

Following is the link to an article about the Pauling/Rath protocol. It
states that over 90% will respond favorably within a few weeks, although some
may require many months. I may be one of those, or perhaps I need to switch
from using olive oil to coconut oil. Any thoughts, or references to the
article from the British Medical Journal?

<A
HREF="http://www.lef.org/news/disease/2001/03/29/eng-mercola/eng-mercola_01325

7_49_5269579091109.html">How To Reduce Your Lp(a) and Decrease Your Riskā€¦</A>

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY