NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Suggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:00:51 -0700
Ever heard of Quinoa?  It's a grain, well actually it isn't technically a
grain so people that are sensitive to grains can tolerate it.  Anyway it
is a good source of calcium.    I read in a book (from the library, sorry
I don't remember the title or author--something about grains) that 1 cup
of cooked quinoa contains as much calcium as a quart of milk.  I found
some at the natural foods store and have started to incorporate it into
our diets, especially my son's who is allergic to milk.  You just cook
and eat it like rice.   I usually mix it with rice for my family since
they are still a little leary of "different" foods.  But my almost 2 year
old allergic son will eat it straight.  Or you can grind it into flour
and substitute for some of the flour in baked goods.
I struggle too, wondering if he gets enough calcium from the rice milk
and soy milk that he drinks.
Hope this will help someone.

Laurie
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!