GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 04:43:10 PDT
Tony Cisse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Tony,

Thanks for the fact that you got my point.But the other fact is that non of us
is driving an anti Islamic propaganda for some of those involved are
themselves Muslims , some of your points are well out of contents,and this is
not interesting.In such a way the discussion will be without any direction
,sorry to say but this is not honest.When you did agree that there is the need
to take heed to what we are saying ,and that is, given an interpretation of
Islam with the eyes of today, should have concluded the whole discussion.
Secondly you are  taking Kabirs points out of contents.What Kabir is trying to
say,as I notice it,is that the condition on the ground are concrete,they are
political and social,religion will not be able to solve these problems because
they are collective issue and religion is private.When Malcom X said that it
was time for them to keep their religion at home,because they were not
oppressed because of the religion they belong to but because they were blacks
and in that case and since they (Black People) belong to different religions
it is better for them not to be divided on religious lines.This is very clear
Tony.                    our conditions are different with that of  those
people who were fighting Jihad,this is another time,those events are history
and do not have anything to do with the problems we are faced with,the only
thing we can do with history is to learn from it,the life of those who fought
Jihad cannot define our destiny.No one is denying the fact that
religion,whether this is Islam or Christianity,had one time or another had
influence on the life and development of one society or the other.This is an
ABC of history.
You might read again that posting and understand the contents.The reading
seems very liberal but this is not the case.Tony the posting gives the man
the right to decide what is "reasonable",it is not made a collective
responsibility.What is the "Custom" of relationship between a man and woman in
a semi feudal society like the Gambia?
You pointed out the case of Salman Rushdie were the media happened to get some
people to short their mouths even though they were against Fatwa.This again
has no relevance to the discussion,again the discussion is not for or against
Islam,anybody who reads your last postings will see it at such and this is
unfair to those Muslims who are supporting the point we are raising.This is
how the polarisation you are talking about comes about.But to clear one
pricinple question here.If those people who are against Fatwa short their
mouths,then it becomes a victory for the mass media in its day to day struggle
to control the human mind.I am of a free mind,my stand point in that case
was(as it was for many muslims,if you did follow the discussion very well)
that Salman Rushdie should know better that he was out to provoke millions of
believers but that Barbaric leaders like Ayatola,who have driven millions of
his his own muslim country men into exile and dead have no moral or religious
claim to the life of Salman Rushdie,if you Tony kept silent or find your selve
supporting Ayatolas Fatwa because of the media propaganda  then you are doing
the very job that the media is asking of you.Because these are the front page
stoff that sells and thus the polirisation between people who have important
things in common to fight for,a better society !

For Freedom

Saiks

For Freedom

Saiks

Jaajef Saiks,

The point you make about "new religious leaders who should give religion a
better interpretation with the eyes of today" is the point of my original
posting on this matter.

How to interpret Modou's original posting on this matter? Lets ignore the
title of the posting for a moment, which I agree could be seen as provocative,
but what is the essence of what was really being said? I might be missing
something but the way I read it seems to be different from some of the
negative responses to Modou Mbye. Indeed, by my reading, the original posting
does not actually imply that the woman should be "in the matchbox of the
household" or indeed should "take people back to the stone age". My posting
was an attempt to explore the idea that despite the title, the essence of
Modou Mbye's posting was more enlightened than might at first have been
assumed (or indeed has been assumed in this debate). Indeed Modou Mbye, in his
response to me did not disagree with this.

I think we have to be very careful when discussing religion. Religion is a
matter of faith which people hold to differing degrees. Yes I agree that no
one would wish to see an Afganistan scenario developing in the Gambia, and
that there are possibly forces, both in Senegal and Gambia that might wish to
see this. However there are also many Muslims who do not neccessarily agree
with the Taliban interpretation of Islam. To attack the religion per se
because one disagrees whith aspects of it, or the way that it is interpreted
is, in my opinion, both as biased as what you may be attacking, but also
counter-productive, in that it drives people with different interpretations to
defend what they might otherwise of been more critical of. In short it brings
about the polarisation of the society, with all the negative potential that
might bring.

An example:
The Salman Rushdie affair in the UK. Muslim opinion in the UK was divided in
reaction to his book "Satanic Verses". Whilst many condemed the book, or how
it was published, a few took up Khomeni's view that the death penalty should
be imposed on him. The media seized on this few and presented the whole Muslim
community as a bunch of raving lunatics just wandering around looking for an
opportunity to Kill Rushdie. The racist National Front used the book to taunt
Asian communities. This in turn meant that even Muslims who diagreed with
Khomeni's fatwa were forced into a position of silence, not wishing to be seen
as allying themselves to the media or the racists.

Is it not more important then too actually recognise progressive and positive
aspects of religion, to see beyond stereotypes and assumptions, and to forge
unity around areas of agreement, without of course silencing dissent?

Other examples can be shown of where women's organisations used Islam to show
the un-Islamic nature of FGM, or in the Pakistanti community in the UK where
there are similar moves to combat forced marriage.

Amadou Kabir says: "If you and Jabang can teach me ways and means of finding
solutions to Africa's struggle for basic, decent, respectable human living
condition, I shall be a keen student of yours". Well there are examples in
history where, whether you are a Muslim or not, it has to be recognised the
progressive role the religion has played in that historical context:

The role Islam had in developing the great West African empires (Mali, Bornu
etc), The struggle against corrupt feudalism in West Africa in the time of the
jihads, the struggle against colonialsim, Samory Toure, Amadou Bamba, etc.
etc. are all examples.

Today examples and lessons can be draw from the functioning of, as one
example, the Mouride Brotherhood in the development process of Senegal
(without reliance on foreign aid). There was even a very interesting recent
posting from Jabou on "Riba" which has important lessons and examples which
are of relevant for today's struggle for development in the face of the
stranglehold of aid/debt.

In conclusion I would say, let none of us be dogmatic or intellectually
blinkered. We should be able to learn from the positives in all faiths and
philosophies, we should look into the positives of each other's ideas and
encourage that rather than highlighting the negative. All progress and
development demands the maximum and widest unity, and in my opinion that is
what we should be striving for.

Yeenduleen ak jaama

Tony

>>> saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]> 5/July/1999 05:31pm >>>
Dear Kabir,

Your last posting was just too great.The religious hypocrisy that is been
advocated by some of our friends will never help,this would not only divide us
but will take us back to the stone ages when ever they have the power to
decide.We know what is happening in Afghanistan,in Sudan etc.In Iran it is a
crime to even have a Parabola antenna for this is against Islam.The place of
the woman is in the match box of household.
Young people like Mye Jabang should have been the new religious leaders who
should give religion a better interpretation with the eyes of today.But it
seems that their religious knowledge is basically reading the scripts without
understanding the meaning and under which circumstances it was said and
pouring it out of their brains and mouths like robots.It took Malcom X great
pain and suffering before understanding that he need to understand religion
with the eyes of his generation.Islamic fundamentalism will never triumphant
in our dear country.

For Freedom

Saiks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jaajef Saiks,

This is an interesting point, and a relevant one, although I am not sure that
I agree with your interpretation of Modou Mbye's posting. When Modou quotes
Abu Bakr ibn Abi Shaybah, Abu Ishaaq al-Jawzjaani
and Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah as, saying " that it is the woman's duty to
serve her husband
within the bounds of what is reasonable and as other women who are like her
serve husbands who are like him", the question must then be put as to what is
the measure of "reasonableness" and who are her peers (i.e. women like her),
by which her behaviour is measured?

I make no claim to being a scholar of Islam, and can therefore only
interpret/understand this from my own point of view and experience. I would
read this as in fact saying that what is "reasonable" and "customary among
people like her and her husband" is inextricable bound up with what the actual
realities of their situation are. Reasonableness, as far as it can ever be
defined is really only what is appropriate in any given situation, and
therefore it's definition can change, as can customs " according to
circumstances, time and place". Following this, using your example of a woman
going out to work whilst the husband is unemployed, what would be reasonable?
and what would be "customary" amongst partners (and their peers) in similar
circumstances? I beleive that under these conditions it could well be
"reasonable" that, for example the husband occupies himself with cooking and
washing, and that it would be seen as quite unreasonable for the woman to go
to work AND do all the domestic work. Indeed "custom" about what a woman's and
man's role is within the home has demonstratably globally changed, and is
still changing according to "circumstances, time and place".

This posting can indeed be read as a warning, and education,  to those husband
who choose to misinterpret (or through unawareness) of religion as an excuse
to mistreat and oppress their wives. In the past others used the name of the
religion to justify not allowing their daughters to go to school, or in some
societies to justify forced arranged marrigaes, against the will of one or
both of the concerned.

I beleive that it is important to recognise the implications of what has been
written here. Indeed in the conclusion of the posting, it is shown that the
interpretation of the relevant hadeeth,  is that either:

serving the husband and taking care of the house by the woman is VOLUNTARY

or

that even if it is interpreted as a duty, the husband should treat it as
voluntary

This I beleive constitutes a challenge to all men to examine their behaviour.
I wonder how many men, Muslims, non-Muslims, Aethists, Christians or even
so-called pro-femminist "new men" really accept this IN PRACTICE, (even though
they might "in theory"). After all even Karl Marx left his wife to struggle to
look after and feed the children whilst he spent his days at the British
Library reading room, and Che GUEVARA left the mother of his children to
support and bring them up one her own whilst he was involved in the Liberation
struggle.

I think that we should not allow our own beliefs, prejudices, and indeed
use/interpretation of language, to obscure our vision of the real essence of
meaning.

No hard feeling to anyone, these are just my own views.

Yeenduleen ak jaama

Tony

saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]> 1/July/1999 01:44pm >>>