From:
Ray Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:58:28 -0700
Hello again,

I tried booting to safe mode and removing all devices under the CD Rom heading.
Upon rebooting to normal mode, the two instances of my CD-RW are once again in
the Device Manager. Does anyone else have an idea that might work?

Thanks.

"Steven J. Wolfe" wrote:

> Just as a rule of thumb, whenever you see multiple devices listed in the
> device manager, you cannot just remove one, but you must remove all multiple
> listings. Then when you reboot, it should just find the one device, and set
> up appropriately. And even better yet, do this in safe mode, you will many
> times see even more listings of those devices in Device Manager, than what
> is showing in the Normal Device manager. For example, I recently was having
> problems with some USB card readers in a system, they were shown only once
> in Regular mode, But... when in safe mode, there were 6 listing for one
> reader, and 4 for the other. So remove all instances of multiple listings in
> device manager in SAFE Mode as well, and Reboot!!
>
> Good Luck....
>
> Steve
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently removed two smaller drives from my three drive system, and
> > added a 30 gig hard drive as the slave on the primary channel under my
> > boot drive. I had a CD-RW drive mastering the old [now removed] third
> > hard drive on the secondary IDE channel and the jumper on this CD-RW is
> > set to Master.
> >
> > Since removing the slaved hard drive on the secondary channel, my CD-RW
> > shows up twice in My Computer and also in the Device Manager. I've tried
> > removing the second one from Device Manager, but on reboot Windows 95
> > just puts it back in for me.
> >
> > I've seen some drive jumper listings showing no jumpers jumped for a
> > single drive on a channel. Should I remove the jumper entirely from the
> > CD-RW drive to resolve the double listing or is something else causing
> > the problem?
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can be.
> >
> > Ray Parrish
> >

>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>            Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml