From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 18:28:36 -0400
Before jumping too far into the world of supplements, you might want to try
a few of these things:

1) Relax.  You are losing weight, your triglycerides are better, and unless
you've already got heart disease, you have time to get this under control.
It's not like a few months of high cholesterol is going to cause you to
drop dead, and it's possible the problem will correct itself.  (It might
not, so you may have to change courses, but you probably shouldn't panic is
all I'm saying.)

2) Rather than jumping straight to flax, try eating more fish, especially
good fatty fishes.

3) Try eating more garlic.  You can easily eat it raw but it's yummy cooked
and is very good for cholesterol.  2-3 cloves a day would be healthy.

4) If you do use flax, you may want to use the high-lignan flax since this
should have the same effect as eating the seeds--which to my understanding
ARE edible raw, by the way, given the descriptions I've read from people
who eat them.

5) Ask your doctor if he can have your Lp(A) levels checked.

If it doesn't work out and you have to run to Dean Ornish or McDougall, do
it, but let's see what we can figure out first.  :-)