From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 13:47:27 -0400
> From: Moira <[log in to unmask]>
> Doesn't a microwave also "irradiate" foods? Is it the same thing?

Not exactly. Microwaves are about 1GHz (or 2, I forgot), or, if you prefer, a
wavelength of about 0.1 to 1 meter [natural light is about 0.4 to 0.8
micrometers]. The radiations gamma, used to irradiate food, are much shorter
(something like 0.01-0.1 nanometer, but I am not sure). To irradiate food,
sometimes radiations beta are used ("beta" are electrons, "gamma" are photons).

Technical details aside, the gamma radiations are much more energetic than
microwaves, and can really create free radicals and other stuff, whereas
microwaves essentially heat water molecules. The effect of microwaving is
essentially the same as ordinary cooking, except that the heating time is much
shorter and the repartition of heating is different, which can damage the
structure of the food [e.g. it can burst]. I read in a biological abstract that
the concentrations of Maillard molecules (AGEs) are the same after conventional
cooking or after microwaving.

Jean-Louis