From:
Alison Ashwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:44:52 +0200
Cheyenne Loon wrote:
> Bannock, also known as fry bread, is made with white flour, lard, and
> water.  (Some add milk, salt, eggs.)  The dough is kneaded into a thick
> round/oval shape, and fried or deep fried.  It is dense, with the
> consistency of a scone. It is served with butter or jam.

Bannocks, as made and eaten in Scotland ,are a kind of bread made with
various different flours according to the type of bannock and no yeast,
divided into farls [quarters ] and cooked on a hot girdle [griddle].

The burnt bannock or the bean bannock has ritual significance and is
eaten at either secular new year or Samhain [Halloween]

I miss making bannocks as I used to feel connected to all the women in
my ancestry as I made them. It is a kind of meditative process as the
mixture is kneaded , cooked and cut on the girdle.

Alison