Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:19:15 -0400
Karen Robinson posted:
>>I'm trying to find out how much fish oil my mother should be taking to
>>treat her hypertension. ..the amounts of omega-3 oils from her foods are
>> probably not in the therapeutic range....

My reply:
From my personal experience and my husbands professional experience, I would
suggest 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil per day, preferably Carlson's lemon
flavored cod liver oil, which is the most palatable and popular among tons
of people my husband and I have suggested it to.  (We are not affiliated
with Carlsons company!  This is purely experiential!)  We have tried other
brands, which tasted bad, and tried capsules.  The caps seem to come up in
burps but the oil doesn't, if consumed with food. Also, the cod liver oil
would be preferable to fish oil that may be an extraction... the cod liver
oil contains Vitamins A and D, which are important to health.  Studies I've
read show that people need more vitamin D than was previously thought and
that due to pollution and common avoidance of the sun as well as use of
sunscreen, people are ending up more deficient in vit. D than ever.  Many
age related diseases have been linked to vitamin D deficiency, along with
EPA and DHA deficiency.

Try the lemon cod liver oil spooned on salad or steamed greens at the table.
Keep it refrigerated; add cold water to the bottle as you use oil, to
displace oxygen in the bottle. We use it daily (we don't have hypertension,
but we also don't get as much wild, oily deep ocean fish on a weekly basis
as would be ideal!)  We know many people who have benefitted from the cod
liver oil (young and old!).

I would also suggest reading and having your mom read (if possible), "The
Salt Solution" by Herb Boynton, Mark F. McCarty, and Richard D. Moore, M.D.,
Ph.D, presents evidence that hypertension, artery disease (atherosclerosis),
osteoporosis, kidney stones, ulcers, asthma, stomach cancer and other
cancers, stroke, and dementia are all promoted by high intake of salt and
underconsumption of potassium (from vegetables and fruits and other
unprocessed foods, including unprocessed fish and meats).

Page 34 and 35 of this book talks about the benefits of fish oil
supplements as they relate to blood pressure.

Btw: Vegetarians don't always ingest high potassium, low sodium diets,
particularly those who eat processed foods (as it sounds as if your mom did)
and those who rely heavily on grains and skimp on produce.  When refined
grains lose as much as 70% of the their potassium.  Also, when people eat
processed vegetarian foods: the canned and instant soups, sauces, frozen
entrees, canned veggies, chips, breads, crackers, cookies, meat analogs,
etc. they often ingest far more sodium than potassium and sometimes as much
sodium as people on a standard American diet.

The SALT SOLUTION presents information that explains that even if you do not
have hypertension, a high intake of salt (and hence a high sodium to
potassium ratio) can set the stage for stroke, dementia, osteoporosis, etc.
It contains some interesting paleo references, including "The Paleolithic
Hypothesis" page 10 and 11.  (Modern paleo diets of unprocessed foods
contain, about 16 parts potassium to one part sodium!)  They mention the
people on the island of Kitava and the work of Staffan Lindeburg.  Btw: The
Kitavans have no incidence of senile dementia!  No doubt this is a result of
their entire diet of unprocessed food.  Highly processed foods are generally
high in sodium and high salt foods (in most diets) are usually highly
processed foods.

 "The Indigenous people of the tiny island of Kitava in Papua New Guinea
remain almost untouched by Western Civilization, eating a diet that consists
of starchy tropical tubers, fruits, coconuts, and fish, and contains no
grain products or purified salt.  The Kitavanas obtain some salt from the
sea water they often use for cooking--about2.5 grams a day.  But they
consume about 8 grams of potassium daily, nearly triple the average American
intake."  (page 30 and 31)

The book talks about how it is not just your sodium intake that is
important, but rather, the ratio of sodium to potassium in one's diet.
The book is available in book stores right now. It is quite fascinating!

Good luck and health to you and your mom!

Rachel