From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 00:10:45 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  Although
 she is a proponent of Dr. Weston Price's work, the healthy people Price
 studied did not use sugar or make sugary desserts or cook gourmet French
 food.   So, her book s a bit of departure from Price's findings. >>

Being a disciple of Sally's, I figured I'd better comment on this! There is a
lot more to Sally's approach than butter, cream and sugary desserts. One
thing to bear in mind is that French people now, and also Spanish,
Portuguese, Italians, Greeks and Turks all have less than one-third the US
heart attack rate. And also, the "Spanish paradox" is that as the meat
consumption in these southern European countries is increasing, the heart
attack rate is decreasing. So their modern current diet is healthier than the
current US diet, and it is also superior to the "Mediterranean" diet, which
is heavy on pasta. So what's going on?

The point is that southern Europeans eat in a much more "traditional" manner,
that is closer to what Weston Price found for the isolated villagers. That
is, they do eat plenty of butter, cheese, eggs, yogurt, meat, fish,
vegetables, fruit, etc. The differences are many -- they still have more
family run farms in southern Europe - agribusiness as practiced in the
American manner (Archer Daniels Midland, ConAgra, etc.) doesn't exist. You
can still go the village market and buy produce fresh from the farm in almost
any village or even major town. I don't know whether the milk is raw, but
cheese is a big deal in France, with maybe over 600 varieties. Food is a way
of life and almost a religion, particularly in France, and the other
countries are similar.

One of Sally's points is that there is a much higher usage of broths and
stocks in Europe, made with the heads and feet of animals, such as chicken
heads, cows feet, fish heads, etc. These animal parts make gelatins, which
makes a highly nutritious stock, or broth, and is still widely consumed in
Europe. In this country, you can't even buy these parts of animals -
apparently all Purdue's chicken heads are shipped to China, and when did you
last see cow's feet or heads?

Also she makes a big point about lacto-fermented foods, such as sauerkraut.
This was a way of preserving food prior to refrigeration, and actually
enhances the nutrient value of the food, rather than degrading it as our
modern methods do. All these are traditional techniques that have been
practiced for millennia,. and quite clearly people who live on these foods
thrive on them.

There is far more to this than I can say here -- I believe that Sally Fallon
has the best and most logical approach to this nutrition crisis that we face.
Check out the website at westonaprice.org.. And better yet, join up!

Charles
San Diego, CA