Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:59:35 -0400
caroline radway said:
> I was wondering if anyone could tell the best way to make nut milk and nut
> butter. I am going away to Egypt for 9 months.....

My reply:
Make tons of jerky before you go.  You can also make apple chips (dried
apple pieces) as well.  Do you have a dehydrator?  It is a wise investment.
To make nut butter, you can lightly toast nuts in a skillet, then pulverize
in a food processor, but you must refrigerate the mixture right away!  You
do not want to make it ahead then leave it sitting or it will spoil!  If you
are taking a food processor or Vita-Mix with you, you can make it there.
Otherwise, I would suggest only bringing nut butter (from a health food
store) that is in an unopened jar, and opening and refrigerating it on
arrival.

I don't know if you eat tahini (sesame paste), but there is a company called
Oskri Organics, located in Egypt, which makes a raw sesame tahini.  I'm sure
you'll have no problem buying that there; it's a staple in many recipes used
in that part of the world.

I would suggest focusing on getting as many local vegetables as you can,
some fruits, and the cleanest meat you can find there.  It wouldn't hurt to
bring some canned tuna of course.

Btw: I would not go with the couscous that Charles recommended.  Couscous is
not a whole grain; it's made from refined semolina flour.   Many people
mistakenly think that couscous is a whole grain, but it is not.   If you are
going to eat grain in Egypt, which is up to you, I would suggest 100% whole
wheat pita bread over any refined white flour grain.  Also, I don't know
what your access will be to traditional food, but I had a client who visited
Egypt and enjoyed fish and vegetables salads for breakfast in the city.  She
did quite well as long as she avoided the pastries and processed foods.  I
would guess there would be a lot of markets for produce.  Can you get a
second refrigerator installed into the place in which you will be staying so
you can get ample vegetables to last each week?

Good luck!

Rachel