From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:22:35 -0600
At 09:31 AM 4/20/01 -0700, Bronwen wrote:
><My older kids are on SAD but  are  somewhat
><restricted only on candy/sweets/pop
>
>Sorry,
>what is SAD?

The Standard American Diet, both literally and philosophically :)

<don't know about the meat thing>

>Another question:  I keep thinking about seasons and natural availability.
>Like how much should I worry about the fact that if I were a real paleo
>native person, there would be no way to actually get a bannana?  or buying
>things that are only in season in South America presently?

Those are all excellent questions.  However, as you've discovered, there's
lots of different, and equally reasonable answers!

I've noticed that different people apply the "paleo principles" in
different ways.  Some want to eat foods that most closely resemble what our
ancestors ate around the time evolution ground to a halt for us.  Some look
more at the old world/new world, level of adaptation type of issues.  Some
are more into level of processing (e.g., raw versus cooked--and how and how
much cooked).  Some want the ultimate micro and macro nutrients to be as
close to ideal as possible.  Some are dealing with specific medical issues.

My point is, it depends a lot on what your own needs are.  There are some
really good reasons for thinking seasonally (and even here, are we thinking
what the paleolithic folks would've had available--where they were, or what
we have available to us where we live?).  For myself, I find that what
looks good at any particular time is rather seasonal, but not necessarily
the season of the area in which I live, but I'm not consciously working
with that at this point.  Once I get some other issues resolved, I think
being a bit more seasonally-oriented would "feel right" to me, but we'll
see :)

This POV is nothing if not thought-provoking!

Dianne