From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:53:37 -0400
> Amadeus wrote:
> > Now you do.
> > I am allergic to meat.
> > Really. :-) Not a joke.
> >
> > I did a food allergy test with resulted that I'm allergic to hazelnut,
> > soy protein and one meat. I don't recall wich one it was maybe sheep.
> > I think most people with meat allergy are allergic to beef.
>
> What kind of test was it, Amadeus?
>
> Food allergy tests are notoriously wrong. Food breaks down in the digestive
> system, obviously, and so it is very difficult to test using standard skin
> tests, for instance, because the digestive intermediary chemistry is not
> taken into account. Lots of false positives make these tests often
> worthless.
>
> Best test is usually a substitution diet, keeping a careful journal. You
> start out with something bland and low allergy, such as rice, and add
> different foods over a period of a few weeks, noting the results.

Richard,

In Amadeus' defense, I had moderate IgG and IgE serum antibody reactions
to beef.  I've practiced a rather strict four-day allergy rotation diet
for almost 3 years now and, yes, when I eat a little too much beef, my
whole body knows it.  First, my belly bloats, then, the following two or
more days, the heavy fatigue comes on.  It's my understanding that beef
is a fairly common allergen for those of us with gut immune problems.
Just goes to show how very individually unique we all are.

Lois