Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:54:58 -0500
Todd,
The only point that I am making is with regard to bovine (and other
non-human) casein, which is why I said *foreign milk proteins*, each word
equally operative, in the sense of "why is the casein in human milk not a
problem?" and "why it is then ok to eat the flesh/organs of an animal?". I
have never heard of someone with a meat allergy. Sure, one could be allergic
to something *in* the meat (antibiotics, hormones, grain) but has there even
been a case of allergy to meat itself?

When we were doing GF/CF diet, we used goat milk. Zoe had no trouble with
it, for the first two weeks. She wasn't drinking it, I was using it in
cooking. She also had goat yogurt and kefir. She reacted to this just the
same as the reacted to bovine dairy products. So it's not "foreign proteins"
that trouble her -she can eat meat-, only foreign *milk* (and grain)
proteins.

Even if hunters were using the milk when they killed a lactating beast, it
could not have been a regular part of their diet under these circumstances.
You don't kill an animal for it's milk, you kill it for it's meat. To have
regular access to milk requires domestication. Also remember that mammary
glands work on supply/demand. A creature (buffalo, for instance, nursing one
calf) that is killed by four men will have less milk to offer per capita
than a domestic cow who is being used to produce milk for a family of four.

Stacie