From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:11:00 EDT
In a message dated 4/11/01 6:53:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Maltitol, like most sugar alcohols, behaves as a
 laxative if eaten in excess, but it should not have much, if any, effect on
 insulin levels or blood sugar. >>

I just got some chocolate with this stuff in it. The chocolate tastes fine
(It's Belgian chocolate), and I only ate a small piece, so there were no
laxative effects. It was sweeter than the bittersweet chocolate I usually buy.

Why would it not have the same effect on blood sugar or insulin levels as
normal sugar? It may not be a carbohydrate technically, but in effect it
still is, isn't it?

Charles
San Diego, CA