Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 00:29:18 -0600
Hello All,

May I try to reply in one message;   To several  comments?
Forgive me if I mess up;  after all we are just trying to
shed a little light in an area of confusion.

05, 2001 01:45
Subject: Re: [P-F] Salmon

> -
> >> I dry it below 40 Celsius and it becomes brittle and
very
> >tasty
> >I never liked the "dry smoke" Salmon.

I have tried many types of "Smoked Salmon"  finally I prefer
the "Not dry;   but the more moist  "barbeque" Salmon that
my Makah Indian friends at Neah Bay Washington prepare.  It
must be eaten within a few days,  or  it will mold,  Frozen
it dries out.  I can ( could) eat  a piggish amount on the
way back to Seattle from Neah Bay while waiting for two
Ferries.  (1965)

> I don't smoke just dry.
> >Do You live in Alaska or Siberia?  If not where do you
get
> >your fresh Salmon?

I used to catch Salmon   one mile or twenty miles out in the
Pacific Ocean off Tatoosh Island.
(Now I buy canned  "Pink" or "Red"  Salmon at the
Supermarket!) ( And catch Red Salmon in a local lake)!

However if you are a good detective you can ferret out the
difference between fresh Alaska Salmon and Fresh Farm
Salmon---at your local fishmarket!      Search Google for
Salmon,  a few hours later you may get the drift of where
the truth swims between the Salmon!  Most Salmon available
from November to March is Farm raised.    Some  lo-cost
Salmon  from  Canada/Alaska comes on the market in April
through October--     The prime spring and summer wild
Salmon that is commercial caught goes straight to the exotic
markets at  $20 or more a pound.  The very   tasty "Red"
Salmon is in the market -maybe-  in the summer.

> In the coastal BC .I live in an island off Vancouver
island . I get it from
> fishermens

You must live in a truly "primitive'  area;  We all  envy
your good luck!  I once explored that area in my boat.

!

> >Please may I suggest here that you have not
> >eaten any Salmon that I caught and COOKED!    However I
> >agree many cooks spoil Salmon in the cooking of it!  They
> >DRY it out so I understand that you may not appreciate
> >cooked Salmon as you have never eaten it when cooked
> >properly!

PLEASE,   PLEASE,  I  WROTE  TO ALL HOW I DO
IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK  One more time;   When frying Salmon Steaks of about one
inch thickness,  after turning them in the pan--------poke a
fork or knife in to see how the center or middle of the
steak appears.  WHEN THE CENTER  1/8 INCH  IS STILL NOT
COOKED--IMMEDIATELY GET IT OUR OF THE PAN AND ONTO A COLD
PLATE.  It will continue cooking and your guests will not
notice the center as uncooked!   as it is
COOKED!-------------   the Salmon Steak will be cooked from
the heat in the other part OF THE STEAK!   ON THE PLATE IN
ABOUT ONE MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOST IMPORTANT-----------Having removed the Salmon Steak
from the pan just before the center was cooked---The Salmon
will taste moist and flavorful,  may I say Delicious.     On
the other hand LEAVING IT IN THE PAN UNTIL THAT LAST TINY
1/8 INCH IN THE CENTER IS COOKED RED AND IS NOT PINK
;;;;RESULTS IN A DRY SALMON STEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dry Fish is not tasty;   Therefore we meet many otherwise
intelligent people who claim "I do not like to eat fish".

> May be you should comes to visit and teach me how to fish
properly .
> For the cooking part I quitted cooking 12 years ago but I
will try your
> I am also going in Oregon to a primitive life skill
gathering at the end of
> July around Portland and visit friends

Oregon is beautiful,  I was born and raised there.     Now I
live in a high and dry desert and truly enjoy missing the
Oregon Rain.  I do not enjoy missing the Oregon Ocean
beaches!

> >If not--- the worm will- --- if you do not chew it up
> >sufficiently ---cause a pain in your stomach for a few
days.
> >But then it will die and not bother you any more.
>
> Where does the pain come from ? worm biting ?

Maybe this poor little non-lethal worm has been beaten to
death on this list;  May one suggest that if you need a
closer tie to this lost worm that you fire up "Google"  and
check things like ---Seattle Raw Salmon Seals----

Best Regards,

Lorenzo