NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:35:53 -0500
wonderful - thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Sherene Silverberg
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 9:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mac 'n Cheese was Nasal Irrigation (Netti Pot)

On Oct 24, 2005, at 8:48 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> On a different subject, my milk and whey allergic 3 year old LOVES
> macaroni=
>  and cheese -- really, anything starchy and/or cheesy.  Does anyone
> know of=
>  an alternative to mac n cheese for this little guy?  Also, how do
> you=
>  handle the guilt of not giving your other children foods that they
> love=
>  b/c their brother can't eat them?  Either way, it seems so unfair to=
>  someone!  \
======================

google Vegan Mac 'n Cheese recipes. A whole bunch came up.   A
girlfriend of mine uses Nutritional yeast in place of cheese a lot.
I haven't experimented with it yet.  we're gfcf so I am hesitant to
introduce  mac 'n cheese to my kids as there will just be too many
substitutions involved.

My husband is the only member of our family who can tolerate casein
or gluten.   He honestly says that he doesn't miss it at home.  I
think the trick is to cook foods that do not require milk.  I am very
conflicted over the concept of making mock foods. we tend to eat
foods that would not normally contain dairy or gluten.

That said, I do make a lot of "ice cream".     We make lots of
sorbets that I freeze in those little Rubbermaid tubs (it's like
giving the kids a little tub of ice cream).

I make a killer Banana and Almond ice cream.  I blend 8 ripe bananas,
1/2 cup almond milk, four hefty tablespoons of almond butter (adjust
to taste) 1/3 cup of agave nectar (I am sure you could use honey or
another liquid sweetener).  Then I put it in the fridge for an hour
or two to make sure it is nice and cold and then I put it in the ice
cream machine.  it's heavenly. I served it for lunch yesterday and
none of my guests believed me when I told them it was completely
dairy free.

Sherene in Norfolk, VA

Privileged and Confidential.  This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by a return e-mail and delete this e-mail.  You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.