C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:53:48 +0000
On Saturday 17 March 2001  4:46 pm, Rayna Lamb wrote:
> I think people who DON'T read 3-4 books at a time are nuts!!  I'm
> on 8 at the moment.
> What is the book on the Brontes called?  Charlotte is my favourite
> author of all time, my HERO.  Jane Eyre is the only female
> protaganist in literature who is strong, intelligent, resourceful,
> independent, and who doesn't defer to a man or allow others to
> mistreat her and get away with it (she stands up to Aunt Reed and
> Mr Brocklehurst, YES!). She gives me strength.  And, she is the
> only female protaganist I can think of who is plain - ie not
> perpetuating idiotic myths that the only women in literature, or
> the world, that are worth bothering about have to be beautiful -
> eat your heart out Scarlett O'Hara, Catherine Earnshaw et al.  And
> Mr Rochester is the only male character that I would like to see as
> a real person (could do without the first wife in the attic,
> though!), I'm still looking for my own Mr Rochester. Better stop
> now, or I will ramble on blissfully for pages.  I don't get to talk
> about books with many people, and books and literature are my
> all-consuming, obsessive passion in life.
>
> Rayna

Mrs Gaitskill (a friend of Charlotte) wrote a very interesting two
volume biography of her (more of my e-books - doubt whether you'd
find many paper copies). Would you like a copy Beth. I used to prefer
"proper" books - now everythings on my notebook linux system. I
mainly read while commuting (3 hours a day).

Cheers

Deri