C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:24:19 -0500
Paige-

Believe it or not, I actually know quite a bit about the legalities of auto
repair, having been a mediator for Chrysler Corp. for three years.

In Ohio (Obviously, you want to check Wisconsin), we have an ordinance on
the book called the "Lemon Law".  It states, in part, that if a
mafufacturer's dealer has attempted to repair a defect three times in a
twelve month period, the car is regarded as a lemon and must be re-purchased
by the dealer/mfgr.  That's the VERY short version of Ohio law.

If you want to respond offline, I could go into the boring specifics of
arbitration.  Bottom line:  The dealer must actually try to  repair the
problem (a road-test is not sufficient), and the IDENTICAL problem must
still be there.

Don't go elsewhere.  Demand an appointment with the "District Service
Manager" and also demand that he ride with you in the car to observe the
problem.

BTW---in your owner's manual (toward the back) should be a section regarding
service complaints and their resolution.  It will describe a legal process
to follow to get customer satisfaction.  Follow this to a "T".  Above all,
do not write threatening or abusive letters to anyone.

Now, specifically about your brake noise:

This is the #1 complaint from new car owners of any make/model.  In the
early '90s, the EPA and NHTSA decided that asbestos-based brake pads/shoes
were bad for the environment and folks with respiratory disease.  There is
no good alternative to asbestos for this application, but the automakers
came up with an admixture of various soft metals to serve as an asbestos
replacement.  Problem is, this compound is still harder than asbestos of
yore.  After first "hard-braking" situation", this compound heats up, shock
cools and becomes even more brittle.  Thereafter, every time you apply the
brakes, the shoes/calipers will chatter at their natural resonating
frequency.  In other words,  they'll squeal.  Precious little can be done,
save for replacing, pads, rotors, drums--the works.  Garages are reticent to
do this because most people who experience this problem haven't "broken in"
the pads/shoes correctly.  If they didn't break them in right the first two
times, it's bloody unlikely they will on the third (not being accusatory,
mind you, it had just been my experience).

Back to complaining about it:  Don't take the car elsewhere...yet.  Get your
owner's manual out and carefully follow the instructions regarding service
problems.  Doing so just might lead you to a brand new car.

-Kyle