C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:01:24 -0800
--- Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> No, I don't think you're being unfair.  Where was
> the support system this
> family needed?  Where were the social workers, the
> church leaders, the
> extended family, the friends, the community?  I
> realise they were very
> likely isolated but surely, someone, sometime,
> somewhere, must have noticed
> something was wrong, and did nothing.

There are too many cases of people just don't want to
get involved...many of the child abuse/murders are
often "normal" kids. On the  other hand a community
can offer the world on a platter to those they feel
can use/need it but can't force the "reciepants" to
accept it. After saying all that there isn't unlimited
resources to go around, even in well populated areas
and with even with people who do not lack money or
resources. Ask the  parents on this list how hard it
is to get respite care. Often the "money" is there but
the  qualified personnel are not.Right now the case of
the 12-13 yr old boy who had CP and was venitalator
dependent who was taken to the hospital by his parents
because they couldn't find respite care. The Dad was a
CEO of a large company and the  mother was a public
disability advocate. They couldn't get help with all
the resources they had at hand.  Look how hard us
parents work to have the schools accomodate our kids
with special needs. Even the best of schools with best
of intentions have limited resources.There is no easy
answer even if there is a moral one.
Joanne