C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:23:18 -0800
Actually what we are talking about through this whole
discussion isn't ablism but bullyism. Thanks for
pointing that  out Michael. This isn't about ears that
are deaf,eyes that don't see well or gimpy legs is it?
It's about people who are scared those deaf ears, and
eyes that don't see as well or the gimpy legs will
replace them in societies fabric loop. It's all about
people who are scared they don't measure up so need to
put down those they find threatening their position.
It's a cycle that needs to be broken as much as
physical abuse. Grandpa called Dad an "F*^&$^ idiot
after Grandpa had a hard day at work and a run in with
the  boss who made Gramps feel lesser(this point both
are your"normal" Michael) Dad feels bad and degraded
after Grandpa's tirade so he picks on you in the same
way...puts you down to build himself up( again we are
probley taking "normal" people here. You feel that
same way as dad when gramps belittled him so you take
it out an some even smaller like you're little
brother. The cycle continues with little brother
making fun of the only one left smaller than him and
it's the kid with a disability up the street. All
because gramps had a bad boss day. That is a really
simple and stereotypical outline but I just wanted to
show it isn't all about discrimination but about the
abusers low esteem. We can stop the cycle and "pay it
forward", do random acts of kindness and encourage
each other. Don't forget it's not only the "able" body
that do  the harassing either. Go ask the deaf culture
about cochlear implants or the autism community about
ABA or pit the right to die coalition vs the Not Dead
Yet community. It's time to break the cycle and it's
starts right here with me.
Joanne