C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:49:00 -0500
Well, Kathy, yeah, I have come to accept myself as I am.  I kinda think it's
the part of maturing and learning to make compromises with life.  I don't
mean give up what you devoutly believe in, but make yourself more
comfortable with who you are, and how you perceive yourself.  I think if you
see yourself as others see you, you're not accepting yourself.  It took me a
long time to get to where I am  now; just doing what I think is right for ME
and not letting others make me feel like a freak or unloved, etc.

When I was in  college and  grad school, I tried to be as "normal" as
possible, which meant "able-bodied."  In doing so, I put a lot of abnormal
wear and tear on my body, which I'm paying for now in terms of arthritis,
increased spasticity, pain and fatigue.  However my mind is as good as ever,
so I refuse to let that go to waste.  I now feel as long as you can use your
mind, you can survive anything.

Let me add, that I also think  that this acceptance process is a part of
everyone's life, not just disabled people's.

        Hope this gives you some sense of what I'm trying to say.  :-)

            Kathy S.