C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:37:44 -0400
Hi,

  Chiropractic adjustments are becoming more commonplace, especially with
children with cp.

  In your case, where it was an injury unrelated to the cerebral palsy
that is causing the pain, an adjustment may be indicated. I'd recommend
that you have your back/neck X-rays available to anyone with whom you
might consult about an adjustment. Medicare may well cover a couple of
visits to a chiropractor, given that if it produces good result, they are
saving money in the long term. If you can resolve this current situation
with 2 visits to a chiropractor as opposed to 15 visits to a physical
therapist, then they see the $$ value attached to the former :)

  Physiotherapists are not trained in "manipulation" - they are trained in
"movement". Gentle manipulation may well set you right, Rayna. They would,
in all likelihood poo-poo the idea of a chiropractor for no other reason
than it cuts into their business.

  Any reputable chiropractor who feels that he cannot help you should say
so. Ask right up front if they've ever treated someone with the
pre-existing condition of cerebral palsy. Ask them if they know anything
about the condition itself and how the body of one with cp reacts
differently perhaps to an injury such as the one from which you are
recovering. If they show no hesitation in answering questions, then you
can be comfortable in allowing them to treat you.

  My husband routinely "manipulates" my head and neck in aid of reducing
stress on my spine. Works for me :)

  Good luck to you.

Cheers!

Carla