C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:40:27 -0400
Hi,

  I'd recommend that you strongly consider going to a chiropractor for a "gentle"
adjustment of the neck. Resolve that issue, and the rest will take care of itself. Seems
all the secondary stuff originates from that head-neck injury.

  If you're not already, take 1000 units of Vit C daily - will help with inflammation,
while concurrently addressing the spasming. Reduce the inflammation, and spasming
subsides. The inflammation is a consequence of the muscles fighting with each other :)

  Explain to the chiropractor the nature of the type of cp you have and how it impacts
your daily life. Passive adjustment along the spinal column might also be of help.

  Most of us with cerebral palsy and other such neurological disorders lack sufficient
magnesium, or absorb what we take in very quickly to make up for deficits. You can
comfortably step up the magnesium dosage by double. Take some in the morning, and some in
the evening. I've been doing that for some time, with great result.

  It's great that you have access to the hospital pool. Do you have therapy of some sort
at the same time? If not, you might consider scheduling sessions in the water with range
of motion exercises.

  At home, you can apply moist heat to the neck area and introduce gentle movement. The
heat will reduce discomfort while you are stretching muscles. I often take a damp hand
towel and heat it in the microwave and apply to aching joints and do gentle range of
motion exercises. Mostly with my elbows and wrists.

  Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier