C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:13:31 +0800
Carla,
Most of the pain at the moment is related to a bad fall I had a couple
of months ago, hit my head, crunched my neck, pinched nerves in neck,
woke up two weeks later with my neck locked to one side, doc at ER
said it is `wry neck', physio worked on it till I could move again.
The falls are because I haven't been able to get exercize lately, the
pool near me only has a hoist on the outside (Olympic-sized) pool (I
don't swim where I can't touch bottom with my feet at all times) Hand
rails on inside pool only reach a foot out of the water - at 5'10" I
need rails that are higher.  Not prepared to get pool staff to lift me
in and out - not big on physical contact with strangers.  No energy to
agitate for better access.  All other accessable pools are not on
accessible trans. route, can't afford taxis, have to book a week in
advance for volunteer transport (at least).  BUT finally got approval
last week to use the pool at my local hospital!!!
Pain currently in neck - v. bad esp with natural muscle spasms and
excess movement
Also in shoulders, and hands, fingers esp - sharp periodic pain (not
arthritic - been tested) that stops me breathing occasionally, also
occas. hurts to hold books, turn pages (books are my LIFE), also
stiffness, my co-ordination has lessed over the last couple of years.
Also pain in legs, occasion. sharp pain like leg is clamped in a vice,
doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it leaves me breathless
and screaming.
Very occasional sharp pains in my chest ever since I had bronchitis the
first few years here in Perth.

I have been taking magnesium/calcium tablets for a couple of months
religously (as in `Oh please god let this work!) Also small doses of
Baclofen and very occasional valium just to get me through until I can
get regular gentle non-weight bearing exercise.  Don't like the idea
of getting addicted so it is only a temporary measure BELIEVE ME.
I am hoping that starting swimming again will help, but any other
suggestions you could offer I would be eternally grateful for, I trust
your judgement more than I do the doctors.

Many, many thanks
Rayna