C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:00:07 EST
The following was written in response to my having had 5 front lower teeth
removed due to gum disease.... If you have a response or a similar story,
please email [log in to unmask]

An Open Letter to the Dental profession…

By

Tamar Raine

It's simply outrageous that dentists don't want to fit disabled people with
dentures. They seem to think it's all right for those of us with cerebral
palsy, Autism, and other developmental disabilities to go around with gaps in
our mouths. It might have been an acceptable attitude forty years ago, but it
is no longer acceptable to be stigmatized in this way. Whenever you look at a
large group of people with developmental disabilities, there are always a
large number of people with teeth missing, and crooked remaining teeth. This
look has become part of the stereotype people have of us. We have enough
prejudice against us, we don't need the added stigma of gaping mouths.

Maybe you don't know this, but we do have a social life, and we do have
interests in dating and getting married. I know you'd Never Dare tell
somebody like my sister or my helpers to go without teeth, so why is it
acceptable for me to go without teeth? Also, if I were working, I wouldn't go
without teeth. As it is, I AM looking for a job, all I need is more strikes
against me because I don't have a professional appearance.

It might be true that a bridge would pop out on occasion, but it is not your
decision to make. It's my mouth, my life, and I am the one to decide what's
going to happen to my mouth. If a bridge doesn't work, then try implants, for
Pete's sake! If I need to be put under anaethesia for this, then that's my
decision to make, not yours. I'm aware of the risks.

When will you people realize that people with disabilities need to look as
good as their "typical able bodied" neighbors? When will you realize that you
should let the client make decisions for themselves, and discuss these things
honestly with us? SHAME ON YOU, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

Shame on you for perpetuating this stigma. And don't tell me that I don't
need teeth! I've seen what happens over time with the remaining teeth. They
get crooked and the bite changes for the worse, and the lips loose their
muscle tone.  Really, you should do for us, what you'd do for your own family.