AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:56:08 -0500
I thought this may be of interest to you:

My campus (University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point or UWSP) has just
adopted a new online accessibility policy. It contains a component
rarely found in such documents, namely a component that addresses all
online resources (not just web pages):

Beginning of quote

UWSP Online resources other than web pages

All parties involved in the creation, modification, replacement or
procurement of online resources must strive for compliance with relevant
Section 508 standards (especially, but not exclusively, Subsections
1194.2, 1194.21 and 1194.22). Where applicable, measures in the pursuit
of accessible solutions must include, but are not limited to:

--gaining familiarity with, and implementing, state-of-the art
accessible design practices for the product in question.
--considering alternatives to applications that do not lend themselves
to barrier-free design.
--taking into account the accessibility of products considered for
purchase.
--requiring vendors to provide documentation pertaining to the
accessibility of their products.
--including accessibility in RFPs (Request for Proposals).

End of quote

Here is the link to the complete document:
http://www.uwsp.edu/it/policies/accessibility/AccessibilityPolicy.htm

The next strategic step, as I see it, is to incorporate the above
mandate into other policies on campus, such as our networked software
application/selection guidelines, the library's collection development
policy, distance education policy, procurement policy, and the campus'
plan to increase diversity.

This leads me to the following question: Do you know of any library (or
library consortium) collection policy that addresses online
accessibility for all (including people with disabilities)? If so, would
you please let me know?

Other questions or comments are equally welcome.

Greetings,

Axel

****************************
Axel Schmetzke, Ph.D.
Assoc. Professor
Library
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
Tel.: 715-346-4658
Email: [log in to unmask]

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<