C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:43:31 -0400
From:
David Freels <[log in to unmask]>
>David,
>
>My daughter has CP and we have not tried hbot because of the cost.  Do I
>understand your note correctly?  Medicaid has to pay for this if we get
>the proper doctor authorization?
>
>Laura

Laura,

Essentially yes. For us, a definite yes. What state are you in?

If you subscribe to the MedicaidforHBOT list, you will automatically
receive a pdf file and subscription acknowledgement note that explains how
the Medicaid law for children is *supposed* to be working--and in some
states it is now working the way it is supposed to.

Others are not, Georgia being one of them. At least until yesterday. For
better or worse, each state is free to administer their Medicaid program
however they want--as long as they are following federal law.

Georgia was found to not be in compliance with federal law. Right now, most
states are probably in the same category.

However, that's changing. Quickly. Since the MedicaidforHBOT list went up
three weeks ago Alaska, Arkansas, Texas, and now Georgia (kicking and
screaming) have changed their policies. That's in just 3 weeks.

But you've got to remember something. Medicaid administrators are people.
They are human beings, and human beings actually do want to help each
other. They really do--even when they're "bureaucrats". Most Medicaid folks
assigned to help special needs children are in that position because they
honestly want to make a difference, but they can only do what they're
allowed to do.

Sometimes they too are parents of brain-injured children.

I am actively seeking out these front line Medicaid administrators and
encouraging them to join this list. Once they know what the law is, and
what it empowers them to do and what it empowers parents of hurt kids to do
for their children--they are all for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.

Especially when they see it before/after. Two excellent examples can be
found at http://www.hyperbaric-oxygen.com/cs1.html and
http://www.hyperbaric-oxygen.com/cs2.html .

We need to break down the barriers and open up the doors and windows and
hearts and minds for an honest conversation and dialogue about this and
remove the things that separate us. Especially if we are all truly seeking
the best for brain-injured children.

Pediatric neurologists and other professionals are welcome too.

When you join the list you will have access to 15+ downloadable files
[http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medicaidforhbot/files/ ]from which you can
put together documentation and present to your state Medicaid agency a
"case" for reimbursement of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for your child.

I would think that a tremendously helpful file would be a copy of the
judge's decision in our case. It spells it out in black and white. Even if
your state says no, any state Medicaid commissioner or governor can see for
themselves the extremely bad PR they could generate for themselves should
they deny HBOT in light of all the available evidence.

If you are a member of a support group, then a group of parents requesting
reimbursement together would obviously be tremendously effective.

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Are you guys ready?"

"Let's roll."

                        --Todd Beamer, typical American