C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:33:06 +0100
From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Tuesday 27 March 2001  7:28 pm, Betty B wrote:
> I was just at a dedication this morning for a local historic
> landmark, and there were classes from two elementary schools in
> attendance.  When I was leaving, two of four boys from one of the
> schools pointed right at me and started laughing.  The other two
> boys did not.  I approached this small group and asked what they
> were laughing about.  "Nothing" one of the offending boys replied.
> Another said "they're just being stupid and disrespectful."  I love
> that kid.  I talked with them for a couple of minutes and said "see
> now, there was nothing to laugh about, was there?  As I left
> though, one of the boys started laughing harder then ever.
>
> Their teacher was standing right next to them and said nothing.  I
> was mad about that but on the way home I wondered what reason she
> might have for not intervening.  Maybe she was afraid to say
> anything for fear of reprisal -- who knows?
>
> I feel sorry for teachers, to be honest.  To think that Laura has
> to have malpractice insurance makes me sick to my stomach.
>
> Betty ("Hire the handicapped, they're fun to watch")

The technique to use here is to remove anonymity. 15/16 yr old lads
are just cocky enough to cheek an adult if they are in a group of
their peers, and presume they have anonymity from their victim.

When we first moved into this village there was a little gaggle of
15yr olds who thought it funny to ring the doorbell and ask for
directions or the time, and upon me answering run off with peals of
laughter. I cured the problem by opening the door and taking a
polaroid of the little group - never came again.

Another instance from a few moinths ago. A little group used to hang
out at the rain shelter at the little country railway statiom I
commute from. Each evening, if this particular boy was there, I heard
sniggering and peals of laughter as I walked past. One evening I
stopped and said to the boy "Oh, give my regards to your Mum, I
haven't seen her for ages". I didn't know him from Adam, but the
illusion of anonymity was broken - good as gold since!!

Cheers

Deri