From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:26:18 -0400

My sister has just undergone a replacement.  She is a celiac, but living
in denial la-la land.  She has been given antibotics and has been
suffering from explosive diarrhea.   The nurse came in while I was
visiting and my sister refused the stool softener, citing the diarrhea
problems.  Well, you know the light went on, and I asked the nurse which
antibiotic they were giving her.  She named one that had given me a bad
time before I was diagnosed.  "That's it!" I told the nurse "she's
having a celiac attack ....there's gluten in that pill.  I'm celiac and
got an awful reaction, too"....The nurse stopped, her eyes got huge, her
jaw dropped and she shouted "of course, NOW it makes sense"  She was so
excited. She asked me which one I was given when I was in the hosptial
[cipro] and went running to the nurses' station, thanking me.  I was so
relieved to see that she not only knew what it was, she knew what to do.
I also told her about Stokes Pharmacy and that the drs at the hospital
had called them before giving me ANY meds.

So, we ARE making progress!

Ann