From:
Deborrah C. Szuch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:58:08 -0500

I hope everyone in the Chicago area caught the June 17, 2001, Tribune
article on Celiac in the Sunday, Health and Family section.  Entitled
"Diagnosing celiac disease: An obscure sensitivity turns food into the
enemy,"  It featured a Chicago area family with a three-year-old celiac
daughter and a pediatric GI from Children's Hospital in Chicago.  It was
well-written, informative and (most importantly), accurate!  The only
conspicuous absence was any mention of oats.  However, since it appears
from reading the many posts on this list that the concern about oats is
cross-contamination and not about actual gliaden in the oats themselves,
perhaps it was not an omission.

The GI's name is Stephen Guandalini, and he is out of the University of
Chicago Children's Hospital.  He comes from Italy, and (as we know) it
is a much more common diagnosis there than here.  He states in the
article that, probably "1 million people must have celiac disease
without knowing it ..."

For web access, go to www.chicagotribune.com, search for "celiac" and it
will take you to the article.

Deb in IL