From:
Jeffrey & Mary Stephen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 08:59:06 -0500

Greetings.

Slightly long.  I just wanted to share this with you all.

Last July I had finally narrowed my problem down to WHEAT.  So, wanting
to eliminate my obsession with this thought and the feeling that I must
be a hypochondriac, I went to an allergist to get tested. (Doctor #5 in
6 years of agony)  So I went to the appointment that I made, the doctor
sat at his desk and talked with me for quite a while as I went over my
text book symptoms of Celiac, and told him that I am definitely having a
problem with WHEAT-(although I didn't know what Celiac was at that
point) had gone on a high protein diet (felt great) and when I
introduced a sandwich to my diet, all the symptoms reappeared. His
response was that I probably had an eating disorder, and was eliminated
foods from my diet and pretty soon I wouldn't be able to eat anything
and that I should seek counseling.  He followed up to say that he has
hundreds of folks every year with the same "symptoms" that I do that are
just eliminated food groups.  I left a mess.  Cried my eyes out.

Since then, my neighbor was diagnosed, then a month later (after
researching her illness) my friend encouraged me to get a test for
celiac.  Well, anyway, I wrote that doctor a letter in December-because
I was insulted and I was worried about those hundreds of people a year
that pass through his office.  It was a nice letter, but I let him know
that I was offended by his remarks.  It went unanswered.  So a couple of
weeks ago I wrote a less nice letter, I let him know that I expected a
response, I also expected my insurance company to be reimbursed, I also
let him know that I had no problem with alerting my community of his
condescending practices and of course, I reminding him of the "hundreds
of patience" statement that he made. I let him know that his duty as a
doctor to "do no harm" was failing and that he could perhaps recontact
those patience. (yes, dreamy) I also sent him that article on how to
diagnose his patients. I said a little prayer over the envelope before I
sent it, hoping that it was for his own highest good, that he learn a
lesson in this, as I have.  I received a personal check from him
yesterday for $85.  With a letter that read: "I am pleased to learn that
a gluten free diet has been helpful.  I appreciate the information that
you sent to me.  Enclosed is a check for the amount I was reimbursed for
your visit.  I wish you the best." OK-no apology in there, and really
didn't acknowledge that I have Celiac-but that is his problem, I took
care of what was on my heart.  I will be donating for Celiac research.
WOOOHOOO!

Thank you for your time and support.  I hope this encourages folks to be
proactive in their journey & bless those doctors who JUST DON'T KNOW.
Mary Stephen Belleville, IL