From:
The Cossalters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 20:29:58 +1000

Just sharing a recent experience for any travellers to the Gold Coast in
Queensland, Australia.

I spent last weekend at a resort called Couran Cove on Stradbroke Island
which is on Queensland's Gold Coast.  It was my first time away since going
gluten free and I was fairly nervous.   I sent a fax ahead of time to advise
that I had CD.   The head chef rang me the following day and assured me that
he was familiar with the condition, had cooked for coeliacs before, and
would take care of me.

There are four cafes/restaurants within the resort.   On the first afternoon
I went to one and just said that I had dietary considerations and asked if I
could have a look at the menu.   (Didn't want to get too detailed until I
actually decided where to eat).  Straight away the guy said "you must be the
lady from room 1802, we've all been notified about you".   He proceed to say
that at their cafe they probably had very little that I could eat (it was a
pool side pizza and hamburger type cafe), but that they would be happy to
fix something suitable for me.   Although I didn't end up eating at the
cafe, I was really impressed by their willingness to accommodate me.   I
ended up dining at the main restaurant the first night, and at the seafood
restaurant on the beach the second day for both lunch and dinner.

All the restaurant staff, without exception, were understanding helpful and
considerate and I had no problems with the food at all.

For those that prefer to cook their own food, there are BBQ facilities at
the resort.  My room had a fridge, microwave and 2 gas burner, and I believe
they all do - but check this when booking.  There is a general store on the
island and you can purchase fresh vegetables and order fresh meats etc
straight to your room.  You can also order prepared meals from the
restaurants for reheating in the microwave.

Just for interest sake if anybody is heading down under.

Jean