From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:36:32 -0500

Dear List:

The several replies I received to my inquiry regarding the experience of
others with brain MRI to detect possible effects of gluten revealed
several helpful suggestions for anyone concerned with this issue.  I
summarize them below.

My concerns were twofold:  First, my symptoms (numbness in extremities,
already  proven by milogram not to be peripheral neuropathy) and dizzy
spells.   Second, my son's dealing with schizophrenia and his inability
to stick to a gf diet - I thought that if some brain damage showed in my
case it would be something his MD's would consider seriously as being
potentially relevant to his case.

Results:  No brain damage shows.  A blood vessel seems to be pressing on
the nerve that connects to the inner ear, thus the dizziness.  The
numbnexx remains unexplained. Thus  yet another diagnostic test comes up
negative for me (I showed no gliadin antibodies when first tested 4
years ago) and have no other textbook testable signs of gluten
intolerance  though I manifest an impressive array of symptoms.

Nancy in nyc
Summary of replies:

1.The MRI showed some hyperintensity without nodularity in the
periventricular white matter and said it could be a manifestation of
demyelination.  ..the celiac wasn't detected until I was
almost 40 years old!

2.The are calcifications in the brain that are related to seizure
associated with celiac disese, but you probably would not need an MRI to
see them. http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html

3.From your post it seems that [peripheral neuropathy} may be your
problem.  The Neuropathy Association can help you find a physician in
your area. www.neuropathy.org for more information or 800-247-6968.

Peripheral neuropathy is a symptom of Celiac Disease but no-one is sure
what nutrients (or lack of) cause the problem.  Many people have been
helped by a GF diet to some extent.  Others like me have not.