From:
Donna Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:15:47 EDT

wow..you guys are awesome!! thanks for all the responses..i thought this
was going to be a tough one!! alot of you asked for me to summarize
this..so here goes...ill include recipes at the end..this is going to be
a long one...

-i had many responses saying the gf pantry had a great mix for it..and also
that bette hagman has a good recipe in one of her books

- also carol fenster has a very good white cake recipe on savorypalate.com

-also there is a mix from a label called miss robens that was said to be good

-there were several suggestions made for using 'regular' angel food recipes
and making substitutions for wheat flour...here they are:

*You choose any std angel foodcake recipe using cake flour, and
substitute it this way:   you use 3 parts of cornstarch, and 2 parts of
potato starch.  And you add 3/4 t. of guar gum or 1 t. of xantham gum.
It is what Robin Ryberg, author of the Gluten-free Kitchen recipe book
does.  If you want thousands of GF recipes, go to this site:
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/start

*some others say taking ANY recipe (julia childs angel food recipe was
suggested more than once) and substituting the same amount of corn starch for
the flour works well

-the general consensus was that gluten free pantry makes the besy mix-
tho i had a few say it didnt come out right alos there was alot of
advice about getting eggwhites the right temperature and making sure the
cake was totally done or it will fall...i think thats what happened with
my 'science project'... good luck everyone and if anyone tries any of
these and wants to let me know how they came out..id love ot hear from
you...enjoy!

ANGEL FOOD CAKE
Marlene Herron

3/4 cup egg whites (about 5 large)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp cream or tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon zest

1.  Place eggs in a bowl of warm water to bring them to room temperature.

2.  Sift together powdered sugar, potato starch, and cornstarch, set aside.
Measure granulated sugar and set aside.

3.  Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, salt and lemon peel in large mixing
bowl. With mixer at high, beat until mixture forms soft peaks. Continue
beating and add the granulated sugar slowly. Beat until sugar is dissolved
and forms stiff peaks.

4.  With rubber spatula, gently fold in the powdered sugar mixture about 1/4
at a time, folding just enough so the powdered sugar mixture disappears.

5.  Pour batter into ungreased 9-inch tube pan (or 8x4 loaf pan) and cut
through with spatula to break any air bubbles.

6.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until top springs back when
lightly touched. Cool in the inverted pan until completely cooled before
removing from pan.

Double the recipe for a 10-inch tube pan.

This is an EASY recipe for a GREAT white cake!  Good Luck!!!

White Cake Recipe

2 cups GF mix
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk (lactose free if necessary)
1 tsp PURE vanilla
3 eggs

Mix well!!!

GF mix is made up of 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch,
1/3 cup of tapioca flour. (Bette Hagman's mix.)  I mix up a big
container of this and then take 2 cups of it for the cake recipe.
Actually, I use this for a lot of things - when an old receipe
calls for regular flour, I substitute this mix.  (It is important
to add about a teaspoon of xanthan gum for every cup of flour.)

Heat oven to 350.  Grease and flour baking pan, 13 X 9 X 2"
or 2 round layer pans or for cupcakes (muffin tins) - use paper
liners.

Measure all ingredients into a large bowl.  Blend 1/2 minute on
low speed, scraping bowl constantly.  Beat 3 minutes on high
speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  Pour into pans.  Bake 40-45
minutes for oblong, 30-35 for round, and 15-20 for cupcakes or until
wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.  Cool.

I tend to make cupcakes as they freeze well.  I just take them out
and pop them into the microwave and they are GREAT!

Angle Food Cake:

12 Egg Whites  or 1 1/2 cup ( I separate the egg cold and then set the mixing
bowl in warm water to warm the egg whites to room temp.)

1 cup gluten free flour mix
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoon Corn starch
1 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1/4 tsp salt

Sift all dry ingred. 3 times and set aside.

Beat egg whites until almost stiff.  Add 3/4 (second one) cup sugar a
tablespoon at a time to beating egg whites.  Fold in dry ingred.
Add 1 tsp vanilla.  (I found powder vanilla that I use.  It works much
better.)

Bake 375 for 45 min on the LOWEST rack in oven.  I cover my cake for the last
10 min. and turn the temp. down to 350.  I don't like my cake dark.  Make
sure mixing bowl and spatula is oil free or the egg whites will not peak.
Take cake out of oven and turn upside down to cool.   I have an old Pepsi
bottle to use.

 ANGEL FOOD CAKE

1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup gluten free flour
1 1/2 cup confectioneers sugar

Beat egg whites until feathery;  add cream of tartat.  Beat until stiff, but
not dry.  Add granulated sugar, a  little at a time.  Add salt and vanilla.
Sift G.F. flour and confectioners sugar 3 times.  Sift into mixture and fold
in.

Bake in tube pan for 1 hr. & 5 min at 325 degrees.

Very good with a butter cream frosting or cream cheese frosting.