From:
Paige Clevenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:02:13 -0500

First I want to thank everybody for replying to my craving for donut
recipes. I received LOTS of replies and it appears many others are
also having the same cravings. Bear with me because I want to pass
the recipes along that I received. I haven't tried any of these yet
but definately will this weekend. Since I can't try all the recipes
at once (although I'm tempted) if anyone tries any please email me
and let me know which were better than the others. I'll also update
later.

First I was told by many that Kinnikinnick's located at
www.kinnikinnick.com has wonderful donuts. They do not have jelly
filled but their others are really good. I was told to buy in large
quantity and freeze them because they do have a $10 shipping charge.

I was told that a donut maker is a good idea. With a donut maker it
is real easy and there is no deep frying. It was suggested to try at
www.salton-maxim.com/salton/ for a mini donut maker they thought they
carried. This sounds like a good idea and sounds much easier than the
traditional method. For now, I will try the traditional method.

A suggestion I got was to use a GF biscuit recipe and add sugar to
the recipe. His 13 year old son really enjoys them.

Lydia's donuts

>  2 eggs beaten                1 c sugar
>  2 tsp melted butter          nutmeg to taste
>  pinch of ginger              1 c sour milk (can use sweet milk with
>  1 tsp baking soda beaten        a little bit of vinegar in it)
>     into the sour milk        1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
>  2 c GF flour mix
>
>  Mix well.  Bake in donut pans at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
>  Can make half the recipe white donuts and then add 1 oz of melted baking
>  chocolate to the other half.
>
>  If you are lactose intolerant, you can make them with apple juice with a
>  bit of vinegar added instead of the sour milk.
>
>  This recipe makes about 12 donuts.  They are yummy!
>
>  I frost them with glaze of powdered sugar and milk and sprinkle with
>  nuts.

Spicy donuts

1 c. sugar                            1 1/2 c GF flour mix
1 tsp baking soda                     1/2  tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp salt                          1 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon                    1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 c oil (or 1/4 c oil and 1/4 c     1 tsp GF vanilla
   applesauce or pumpkin puree)       1/2 c boiling water
2 eggs
1/2 c buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together.  Add oil ( and fruit puree if reducing fat) and
mix well.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Add buttermilk and water a
little at a time to the mix.  Bake in preheated donut maker coated with GF
cooking spray.  Bake 3 minutes.  These may also be baked in a sandwich
maker--but bake 7 minutes.

Chocolate donuts:

Same as above but eliminate cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.  Add 1/2 c cocoa
and follow above recipe.

Donuts:

4 1/2 c GF flour        1 3/4 c sugar
7 tsp baking powder     2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg          1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs                  2 tsp GF vanilla
2 c milk or water       1 c oil

Mix dry ingredients together.  At medium speed beat eggs and vanilla.  Add
rest of wet ingredients.  Add dry mixture.  Makes about 2 dz. donuts.
These freeze well and can be put in the microwave--80% power for 20-30
seconds.

Here is a recipe for Buttermilk Drop Donuts.  For a "light" donut, use a
GF flour mixture that is made up of a variety of flours, including some
bean flours.

2 eggs                          1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, softened        2 cups + 1 Tbsp. GF flour mixture
1 1/2 tsp. GF baking powder     1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon               1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk              Corn oil for frying
Toppings/Jelly (see below)

Whip eggs until fluffy.  Beat in 1/2 cup sugar and butter.  Sift
together flour mixture, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
This flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk until
thoroughly blended.  Drop by teaspoonfulls into hot oil (375 degrees)
and cook, turning once, until lightly browned.  Drain on paper towels.

While warm, roll in granulated or confectioner's sugar.  Yield:  48
small donuts.

* Toppings/Jelly:  With an "injector", you may inject donuts with a
jelly or cream filling.  For alternative toppings, frost with chocolate
icing, then sprinkle with nuts; or spread with a confectioner's sugar
glaze and sprinkle with coconut.

Poofies

1 cup rice flour        1/2 tesp salt
1 egg                   1 cup gf sour cream
1/2 tsp baking soda     2 tsp water

Make batter and refridgerate for 1-2 hours. Drop by teaspoon into hot oil
and roll in cinnimon and sugar blend. serve warm.  I thought you could try
putting jam in them?

Basic Donuts (Donut Maker Needed)

4 1/2 cup GF flour            1 3/4 cup sugar
7 teaspoons baking powder     2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg           1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 eggs                        2 teaspoons GF vanilla
2 cup milk or water           1 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients together. At medium speed beat eggs and vanilla. Add
rest of wet ingredients. Add dry mixture. Makes about 2 dz. donuts. These
freeze well and can be put in the microwave--80% power for 20-30 seconds.

GF Raised Doughnuts

1 1/4  to 1 1/2 cups. GF flour mix  (you want a thick cake batter texture)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder     1 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp salt                1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar               1 cup lukewarm water
2 teaspoon rapid yeast      3 tablespoons margarine, melted
2 eggs, room temp

Sift together GF flour mix, baking powder, xantham gum, salt, and spice.
Add 1 Tbsp of the sugar to the warm water and stir in yeast.  Set aside
until bubbly.  In a large mixing bowl, blend together margarine, eggs,
and yeast mixture using a hand mixer on low speed.  Beat in half of
flour mixture.  Stir in the rest of the flour mixture, then beat until smooth.

Heat at least 2 inches of oil to 375F in a wide, deep pan or deep fryer.
Scoop the dough with your icecream scoop or gravy ladle and drop gently into
hot oil. Turn doughnuts once to brown on both sides.  Remove with tongs to
drain on paper towels or brown paper.

If eaten warm, shake in a mixture of granulated sugar and a little
cinnamon.  If storing, remove to cooling rack.  May be frosted when
cooled.

NOTES:

I let them cool a few minutes and injected them with jelly.  My husband and
I ate the whole batch in less than 2 days.  Not as good the next day as
the dough gets oily, so only fill the ones you will eat right away.  The
older ones do well if you can pop them in a toaster oven or regular oven
a few minutes to dry the oil out a bit, then fill with jelly.

Some people have not had good success.  You may have to play with the amount
of flour to get a good thickness, so when you drop them in the oil they stay
together.  Mine look pear shaped, about 3 inches each.

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE - IT SURE DID ME!!!!!-)