From:
halladey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:12:08 +0200

Hi

A week ago I sent out a plea for support - I was feeling very dejected
by the depressing evidence and irritiation of DH, and needed to know
that things would get better if I went GF and took the drug Dapsone.

I have been absolutely thrilled by the wonderful responses from you all
- I think I must have received about 60 replies!  Thank you all for
finding the time to write to me and for assuring me that I am not alone
and I WILL get getter.  In this past week there has been definite
improvement, the itching has subsided considerably and the 'blisters'
are showing definite signs of healing.  I do however feel rather
vulnerable at the moment and am daunted at the prospect of a completely
GF diet - I feel scared to eat anything for fear I may have missed
something.  I look forward to finding my way round a more interesteing
diet than what I am currently allowing myself - baked potato and salad
every night is getting so boring!  I need a lot of help still - the
obvious stuff is easy to avoid, but I don't know about things like
yogurts, dressings, sauces, spices, sweets, chocs, cheeses etc. - what
exactly must I look for on the ingredients listings, what are the
additives/preservatives that are to be avoided?  Obviously I can't miss
things like starc, modified food starch, wheat germ etc. etc. - but what
of all these chemical additives?

Many of the letters are from USA and UK and the products promoted are
not sold in South Africa (Cape Town) - where I live.  Is there someone
out there who lives in SA who can help me get my hands on some kind of
reference book which would tell me what products I can buy and what
products I can't buy. (A phone number would help and I will call you.)

Also I would like a suggestions for something I could use on my skin to
help me fade the purplish blemishes that are being left behind now that
my blisters are healing.

This is a wonderful 'listing" and I am so thankful to have found it.

HILARY