From:
Tom Shank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:16:09 -0600

Hi listmembers.  I would like to say that not all "holistic
practitioners" should be lumped into a group.  I, myself, am one.   I
know better than to tell any of my clients that I can "cure" them.  I
do, however, try to empower my clients to make necessary lifestyle
changes and become more educated on their bodies and health issues.
Ultimately they then move toward a healthier lifestyle and toward a
higher state of wellness.    I have a holistic practitioner friend who
has MS.  She is quite truthful in stating that--even though, through
her daily, personal efforts, all of her symptoms have been in
remission for over 5 years--she still has MS.

I do agree with the statement that if anyone tells you they can "cure"
you--of anything--be wary.

The new paradigm/model is that we accept the responsiblity for our
decisions and choices regarding our own health.

I, like many of you, was told for many years that "all my labs were
normal"--"we can find nothing wrong with you".   The implication
was--it was all in my head.  I was offered Zoloft more times than I
can tell you.  This is as dangerous as offering a cure.  Until I took
control of my own welfare--I continued to flounder.  Had I bought the
advice of those doctors--I would not have continued to search for
alternatives to help me.

I have learned along the way to walk away from ANYONE who thinks they
have all the answers for me.   One of my favorite quotes is: " The
best outer teacher always points to the inner teacher".

Even though my gut is the source of many of my health issues--it is
also the source of my intuiton which ultimately contains the truth for
me.

Blessings to you all, Lorri in Colorado