From:
Elaine Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 14:21:26 -0500

Dear List Mates:

I would like to share some information that will help to bring research to
celiac disease and autoimmune disease.

Dr. Fine has written me an e-mail stating, "Yes gluten sensitivity appears
to be the trigger for most autoimmune diseases."

I have searched the archives under "autoimmune" and just cannot believe the
number of complications with celiac disease.  What are the celiac
organizations doing about this?

Wouldn't everyone agree that everyone with autoimmune disease should be
tested for gluten sensitivity?  EVERYONE IN AMERICA SHOULD BE TESTED FOR
GLUTEN SENSITIVITY.  Prevention is the name of the game.

We need to focus on children right now because by the time children are
4 years old, the associated autoimmune diseases are already on the rise
(double from an incidence of 5% at age 2 to 10% by age 4, up to 35% by
age 20 (ie. 35% of celiac kids have a second autoimmune disease).

After being on the gluten free diet for six years I was dx. with
polymyositis/dermatomyositis.  (I know I was getting hidden gluten.)  I also
have a thyroid disorder since the age of 10.  Dr. Fine helped me to discover
that "The apparent immune system gene predisposing to juvenile and familial
dermatomyositis is HLA-DQA1*0501.  This is part of the celiac gene."

Dr. Fine can test for these gluten antibodies with his new stool test
before there is damage to the intestine.  Early diagnosis makes the most
sense because of the associated malnutrition, osteoporosis, associated
autoimmune diseases, and cancer/lymphoma.  Blood tests are not accurate
and are missing up to 30% of the cases.  Dr. Noel Rose of Johns Hopkins
is chairman of AARDA 's scientific advisory board and needs to be made
aware of these autoimmune problems.  I would suggest that all of the
celiac organizations make Dr. Fine's new stool testing a priority and
see to it that it will be highly publicized at the Atlanta conference on
May 20.  Elaine