From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:31:32 EST

<<I've read the papers and heard the latest at the Baltimore conference,
and at this point there's no more reason to think oats can hurt you than
rice or corn. >>

I agree and disagree, but that's another post entirely:) so I won't expound
here.

One person wrote:

<<Halachicly, the only matzah that is ok is made out of flour - that is the
only kind that the brachah can be made on.  So, I decided two things:  1.
that I would use a type of rice cracker as my matzah and that I would say
the bracha using the rice cracker & 2.  that there was no legitimate
(halachic)reason why I as a child of Ashkenazik Jews could not follow the
Sephardic food guidelines for Pesach, therefore allowing rice & lentils at
the seder meal.  I came to these conclusions and decisions after questioning
different rabbi's - from Orthodox to Renewal and doing alot of reading of
why we follow various customs.>>

This is *exactly* my plan!!!  LOL.  I was just hoping to find something like
the HolGrain rice cracker in matzah shape so that my22 mo GF daughter
wouldn't flip over the glutenous version.

'nother poster:

<<Check the archives on this -- there have been some interesting discussions
on this about 4 - 5 years ago or so.  There are also some "GF Matzoh"
recipes (whether or not they'd pass muster with your rabbi I wouldn't know)
in there.  Personally, one of the best things about CD is being medically
exempt from eating matzoh -- except for matzoh brei, I can't stand the
stuff.>>

Yeah, I actually can't stand it either- and imo oat matzah is *really* gross
- has kind of a mealy texture.  As I mention above, my major concern is about
Alana and spending the week with our gluten eating in-laws....my FIL's fave
meal of peanut butter (kitniyot - though they do no other kitniyot) on
matzah.  I know Alana will want to eat it.  i'll just make sure that everyone
breaks their matzah up in small peices so that it looks like the HolGrain
crackers and we'll be all set:)

Betsey Carus who's been posting lots of helpful passover info;)  write:

<<The only non-oat "matzah" I have seen that is truly KFP is one that is
homemade from potato starch. I can send you the recipe if you want. It
actually is quite tasty. I usually make crackers but others have made it
into a large matzah shape to use at the seder.>>

I'd love the recipie.  I'm sure many others would as well -could you post it
to the list?  I'll check the archives too:)

Betsey continues to say:

<<I do use the oat matzah, although I only use it for the seder. I have
been going to Dr. Fasano and he doesn't feel there is enough information
available to use oats routinely. However, the oat matzah is NOT cross
contaminated and the Rabbi spent years looking for a variety of oats
that ended up having NO gluten (whatever the chain of protein is that is
defined as gluten in oats) so I feel it is ok to have it for the seder.
I do not eat it at any other time. I will be posting more information on
the oat matzah next week after I talk to the Rabbi in England. But if
you have any questions you would like me to ask him (he started this
project because his daughter has celiac and is STRICT about what she
eats. She uses this every week for challah on shabbos) please let me
know so I can bring it up or send you his phone number so you can call
him personally.>>

After much research, I don't believe that there are uncontaminated oats in
the US...and I'm not sure that I buy that oats are safe to begin with (and
yes, I've read all the info from the baltimore conf.....my concerns are a
different post entirely:))  But since quite a few ppl did as for the info
about the oat matzah, I'll defer to Betsey since I can't make any of the
above claims about the oat matzah I previously used (pre-CD).  So in other
words, I'm not posting the info about the oat matzah that i'd previously used
b/c I know nothing about it generally or specifically speaking - other than
that it's 100% oat.   The oat matzah that bBetsey is referencing seems to be
held to a different standard with much knowledge and research going into it.

One poster wrote:

<<Since matza is *defined* as being made from wheat (spelt, kamut), rye,
barley or oats, except for the dubious case of oats, there is no such thing
as GF matza.  Can't be.>>

Yeah, I know, I was just hoping for the general shape, size......

She went on to say:

<<The closest thing I've found in looks/taste/texture to classic matza is
the unsalted WholGrain rice cracker, which is what I use for my seder for
the GF folks (4 in my family, and counting...)>>

that's our plan too.  Though it's not ideal....so I'm remaining vaguely
hopeful about the potato starch matzah;)

Thanks so much for all the replies...looks like there are about 20 of us in
the same boat.  And if only 20 posted, there are probably alot more who
didn't.

Take care:)

Katherine and Alana in atl