From:
Marian Narodowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:22:32 -0500

I recently spent a week at Couples, Negril Jamaica, an all inclusive resort.
I contacted them prior to my trip, and was told to meet with the head chef,
Stphan, when I arrived. I did, and the results were great. I took a cake mix
and bread mix with me, and the pastry chef made my cake, and frosted it, and
it was wonderful. She tried my bread, but hadn't been given my verbal
instruction about preparing gluten free bread, so that didn't work out, but
I could have gone to the kitchen and either supervised her making my bread,
or make it myself. I did neither, as it would interfere with beach time! In
the future, I intend to make my bread, pack it well, and carry it on the
plane. After the first day, every time we went to eat, one of the chefs we
had been referred to always came out to see what I wanted off the menu, and
he explained how he would make it safe for me. Every night there was always
something on the desert bar that I could have, either a mousse, flan, or
meringues, not to mention all the fresh fruit. And if that wasn't enough, I
could ask for and be served my cake! I was in heaven for the week!
And then, at the end of our week, my husband overheard a new guest talking
to a cook, explaining that she couldn't eat wheat, so hubbies ears perked,
and he heard the magic word "celiac sprue" so we introduced ourselves to
Melissa and her husband, and then introduced her to some of the chefs she
would be dealing with during her stay, and I told them she had the same
diet, and could just carry on for another week!

I highly recommend this resort for anyone wanting a restful vacation and
wanting to eat very well. I plan to go back and gain more weight!
Marian