From:
Kathy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:48:50 -0500

I wrote asking for advice on making the Featherlight White Bread in Bette
Hagman's book.  My bread always looks good in the oven, then when it is
cooling, it pulls in on the bottom or the sides, or it collapes on itself.
I received several responses, but they are varied.

Several people suggested that I bake the bread longer.  One person suggested
that I cover the loaf with foil when it cools so that it continues to bake a
little more once it is out of the oven.  Another said that she bakes it at
375 for a little longer than the recipe time.

Several people suggested that I reduce the liquid in the recipe by amounts
varying from 1-2 Tblsp. to half of what the recipe calls for.

Other suggestions were:
use less xanthan gum
eliminate the gelatin
bake on a lower rack
weigh the ingredients rather than measuring them dry
use a smaller pan
cut the number of egg whites back by 1 or 2
reduce the amount of yeast

Several people replied that they did not have luck with this bread, and have
stopped making it in favor of other breads or buns.  Others said that they
made it without problems.  As one person suggested, there are many variables
in bread making besides the ingredients.  Atmospheric humidity, altitude,
dampness of the flour, etc.  all contribute.  Perhaps that explains why some
people are successful and others are not.

So I really am not sure what I will do.  First I will try reducing the
liquid further than I have, and perhaps baking it a bit longer, although the
last loaf that I baked was starting to turn a very dark brown.

One of the people who works with Bette Hagman asked for my snail mail
address.  She may have the opportunity to ask this of Bette.  If she does,
and if I get a response, I will post it to the list.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Kathy