From:
Delia Kang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:56:18 -0400

hello everyone!!

i have written notes here in the past about my low iron problem...to
summarize...i was diagnosed with celiac december 2000 (endoscopy diagnosed),
the only symptom being low iron. i went on the gluten free diet and my iron
levels actually went down!! i was on iron supplements the whole time (gluten
free ones) and i was being good with eating gf food!!!

my internal doctor did a barium study on me in june and everything was fine.
he ordered a CT scan and that was today (that story will follow....what a
fun day i had...). when i got home from the scan there was a message on my
answering machine that my blood work was back and my iron is now normal!!
woohhooo!!! i had my b12 tested too and that is way above normal, my
hemoglobin is normal (has always been normal, even when my iron was way
down...something they never figured out...) so things seem to be looking
up!! my doctor said to wean myself off of the iron supplements in the next
two months and then they will check my levels again to make sure my body is
getting used to life without the supplements!!

the ct story....all of the things they used on me today were gluten free. i
first had to drink this ever so lovely drink and about 2 hours later they
injected xray dye into my vein. they did the scan and just at the end of the
scan i started to feel itchy on my neck...turns out i had an allergic
reaction to the dye, i developed hives. so they gave me 25 mg of benadryl by
IV and i had a reaction to that...i got very very shaky. the doctor kept me
there for awhile but he had no idea why i was shaking. the doctor said that
because i have environmental allergies and some food allergies, that it is
almost normal to have an allergy to this dye.

so i am glad about my iron levels, seems the gf diet is working, but i am
not too happy about what i had to go through today!!!

any ideas about the shaking??

it has been a long road to getting my iron up (over a year..). one piece of
advice...i know it's frustrating sometimes with the gf diet, because for
some people it doesn't seem like anything is changing...but things are
changing and things will get better!! hang in there and try to enjoy the
foods we can have!!!

delia : )