From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:56:43 EDT

Thank you for your letter regarding our gluten free products, as we always
welcome consumer comments and concerns.  Gluten is the common term used to
refer to the protein component in wheat (including Kamut and spelt), barley,
and rye.  Gliaden is the correct scientific name for gluten.  This gluten,
or gliaden protein in these grains is the component that causes allergic

Nature's Path is aware of the food sensitivities that some individuals have
specifically with regard to gluten (gliaden).  Therefore, we take
precautions to prevent any cross contamination in our gluten free products.
We remain confident in the integrity and quality of cleaning procedures that
we use to thoroughly clean the production equipment between product runs.
However, it is essentially impossible to "guarantee" that there is no
possibility of gluten contamination.  Even though we consider the following
products gluten free, we caution that highly sensitive individuals may need
to determine if these products are suitable for their particular dietary
requirements.

-- Mesa Sunrise(tm) Indian corn, flax, and amaranth multigrain flakes
   (sweetened with unrefined cane juice)
-- Corn Flakes (sweetened with unrefined cane juice) " Honey'd(tm) Corn
   Flakes (sweetened with honey)
-- Amazon Frosted Flakes(tm) (corn flakes sweetened w/ honey and cane
   juice
-- Gorilla Munch(tm) (crunchy corn pops sweetened w/ unrefined cane
   juice)
-- Panda Puffs (Crunchy sweetened corn pops with a peanut butter coating)

Our sister company, Lifestream(r), offers 2 varieties of highly nutritious and
delightfully delicious toaster waffles that are gluten free:  Buckwheat
Wildberry & Mesa Sunrise(tm).

Additionally, Nature's Path also offers several varieties of puffed grains
including Puffed Rice, Puffed Millet, and Puffed Corn.  However, these
products are made in a separate facility that will often run several
different grains simultaneously, including Puffed Wheat and Puffed Kamut(r),
which are not gluten free.  Consequently, depending on each individual's
sensitivity to gluten, the puffed grain cereals may or may not be
appropriate for a strict gluten-free diet.

In case you're interested, there is a well researched website that includes
an article on "Grains in Relation to Celiac Disesase" that includes an
extensive bibliography, as well as website links for further reference:
http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics

As for where to find our stores in Dallas, I suggest you visit our store
locator on our website @ www.naturespath.com  or look in the yellow pages
under "health food stores" for the store nearest you.

Thanks again for your correspondence and patronage.  Please don't hesitate
to contact me again if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,
Mary Stift, B. Sc.
Consumer Services Coordinator
Nature's Path Foods, Inc.