Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:14:29 -0400
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

I was playing around today with a CD-ROM of all medical malpractice
lawsuits in the 11 district courts. So of course I did a search on celiac.
Up comes one case. The full citation can be found at:

http://www.gluten-free.org/celiacmedmal.txt

It was settled before trial for $49,000. Here is the text of the case:

"A nine-year-old female suffered malnutrition and failure to thrive as a
result of celiac disease, which the third-named defendant physician
misdiagnosed as cystic fibrosis of the pancreas. The plaintiff contended
that the defendant's failure to diagnose and treat the plaintiff's
condition fell below the standard of care. The defendants contended that
the symptoms of both diseases are so similar that it prevented earlier
diagnosis."

I am surprised there aren't more medical malpractice lawsuits for failing
to diagnose celiac.

Don.