From:
Judith Daley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:30:12 -0400

Hi,

I want to thank all of you who responded to my post concerning my
swollen lips.  I have summarized the responses below.

-Most people thought I was probably allergic to something I was eating.

-It was mentioned that it could be hives causing the swelling due to an
allergic reaction

-surprisingly, only 2 people said they experienced lip swelling due to
gluten ingestion

-Angioedema causes deep tissue swelling in areas like the lips, soles of
the feet, palms of the hands, and throat.  Attributed to allergies, but
no known cause has been found.

Things mentioned to have caused lip swelling in others:

-walnuts
-avocados
-rutabagas
-wood preservative
-certain fresh fruits
-apples
-peeling potatoes
-shrimp
-strawberries
-carrots
-celery
-lipstick
-topical facial care products
-marshmallows
-citric acid in tomatoes
-yeast
-soya
-corn
-toothpaste
-eggs
-being dehydrated
-gluten ingestion
-zinc supplements
-neosporin
-aloe
-peanut
-dried legumes
-pineapple
-potatoes
-dairy products

As you can see, a number of things can cause lip swelling.   I should
have mentioned in my original post that my lips stay constantly
swollen.  They don't just swell for a few hours and then go back to
normal size.  They have been swollen for two years straight!  I do not
wear lipstick or use topical facial care products, so these can be ruled
out.  I have had regular skin allergy testing done and everything came
back negative.  How reliable these tests are, I don't know!?!  I'll keep
trying to pin-point the cause.  Thanks for your help!

Judith :o)
Ottawa, Ontario - Canada