Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 06:01:56 -0500

 >for
 >baked goods, are fairly high in fat.  Is anyone working on modifying
 >these?  I play around with substitutions a lot, eg. applesauce for butter.
 >called Energ-E Foods about this and they said their concern is getting
 >the gluten out, not the fat.  Do others share my concern?
 >        2.  I know oats are forbidden (is this finally conclusive?) but
 >I've been wondering about oat bran as a way to add fiber.  I have used
 >rice bran, but it has a high fat content.  I've never tried oat bran.
 >Does it just absorb fluids and pass through the body without doing
 >harm?  Does the bran contain gluten?  No doubt I'm revealing my horrible
 >ignorance about the digestive process.

 >Pam
My husband just had an angioplasty and shot a blood sugar of 300. Meals
that we share have to be lo-sugar,lo-fat, and gluten-free! I am
translating everything from the DeBakey's Living Heart Diet, the
American Diabetes assoc., and my own store of fabulous foods.

Wheat, oats, barley, rye and anything distilled through them is on the
forbidden lists in the USA. You have to be suspicious of "modified
starch", Flavors,colors, and Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (unless it
says soy protein).

Anything"lite' might not be GF. Wheat flour is often substituted for the
fat.( You'll have lots of vinagriette dressings, with proper vinegars of
course). Some celiacs are also lactose and/or soy intolerant. You can be
celiac and stil have concom